Thursday, June 12, 2008

Quasar Part 7

Enough babymen--back to posting some more of Quasar 10 today. This was the best part of the story for me as I got to draw Captain Marvel, one of my fave characters from when I was just getting into comics. I loved, and still do the work of Gil Kane, and he did great work on that series. When ever I got to draw one of the characters I read as a kid, or ink an old pro, like I eventually did with Gil Kane on DC's Captain Marvel no less--, I felt like I had really arrived, I was really working in comics, or the comics I wanted to be a part of which is the best of the Silver Age. That's the esthetic, the skill level I strived for as a cartoonist, to be as good as the group of artists working in that era.

Hell, I still miss color dots , sometimes.

4 comments:

Alan said...

Yeah, these pages really take things up a notch. You can tell you were lovin' it.

Jp Pollard said...

Wow! Quasar #10 was one of the first comics I bought as a youngster. It came in a JCPenny Marvel comics grab-bag.

Thanks for posting all these great pencils. Your magazine it a fantastic resource.

Mike Manley said...

Thanks Alan, I really wished I or Williamson could have inked it.

JP, That's great, I used to get a lot of comics bagged that way as a kid, 3 for a dollar, etc. they should still do that now, since the back issue market is basically dead, why not mass, bag-em up and sell them that way, might as well.

Unknown said...

Great work, Mike!

Quasar is one of my favorite comics of all time!

Bring Back Wendell Vaughn as Quasar!
www.bringbackwendell.com

-Matt