Saturday, December 27, 2008

West Philly Commute


This is another painting in the series on commuting i am working on. This time a painting based on a photo I took while riding the EL into the city. This was the first snowfall that happened back in November and riding through West Philly I was trying out my new Powershot SX 110 from canon. My old reliable Powershot A80 bit the dust a month or so back and I picked up this new camera from best Buy and it's really been great so far.

Riding through West Philly you see all kinds of great images to photograph, draw or paint. Ruined building with graffiti,buildings in all states of decay and now renovation due to the zillion dollar and far-to-long reconstruction of the Market-Frankford line. Though this is based on a photo I did take many liberties here as I am going for a feeling more than an exact photographic recreation. It's still pretty accurate and in a few days when it's dried a bit I might go back in spots and touch it up. This was one evenings work in my studio, 12 x 16, oil, on Dick Blick canvas.

6 comments:

Josh said...

Looks great. You got that bird's eye view on the El? That's cool.

Mike Manley said...

Thanks, yeah, this view I could only get riding the EL. No way to stand up there with an easel without getting clipped by the train.

Francis Vallejo said...

inspiring blog, thanks for posting!

Brian Churilla said...

This might be my favorite one yet.

Mike Manley said...

Thanks Brian, I was really trying to go for feeling first and then add in detail as needed. I can't wait to get back at painting, I have some freelance to do first.

Mike Manley said...

Thanks Francis, I appreciate all the feedback.