Sunday, January 04, 2009

The New Year Brings New Experiences

I have started another blog The Dirty Palette Club with a bunch of friends and fellow students mostly from PAFA. But we also have cartoonists, and animators as members as well. We decided as a group to get together outside of the classroom environment to paint, draw and create en mass to enjoy the experience and frustrations as artists together and to learn from each other. Also to just have fun painting together in a looser atmosphere.

So stop by from time to time to see what we are up to. I am upping my game this year as an artist. Oh, I'll still have plenty of commercial work, the usual mix of comics, animation and Draw! magazine, plus my teaching and being a student myself, but i want to focus on working on a series of paintings and themes as an artist and start entering juried competitions and events. One might ask how I can possibly up my game with all I have on my plate? Well I just have to be more organized and be willing to suffer a bit more. The spring semester will go fast, and soon the year will be half over and summer will be here. So the paintings I have been posting while on break are just me sort of limbering up for this year's harder push.

3 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

Hey Mike,

I check in regularly but don't comment often. I just want to tell you how much I enjoy your posts and your ever-increasing desire to seek out new artistic opportunities -- teaching, doing comics, taking classes yourself, etc.

Here's to 2009!

Kelly said...

Ah, when summer comes, perhaps I can join you and your merry band of painters? Metal welding/scultping, painting, making photographs....sounds like a good plan for summer, no?

:)

Daniel Araya said...

Happy New Year Mike!

Your blog is quite a good read, I have wanted to pursue a life in comics for a few years now, but the way you put it makes it look like I should definetely look somewhere else. What do you think?

By the way, I'm one of those animators that destroy storyboards overseas that you talked about quite a while ago, for 350 bucks a month (full time) what did you expect? :D I suck big time and even yet I get to do keyframes. I hope starting to go to art school this year will help me improve.