Sunday, March 06, 2005

Deadwood

Finally my favorite TV show from last year DEADWOOD returns to the airwaves, or cablebox tonite on HBO. DEADWOOD is just about the best TV can get, I think it was better than the Sopranos last year. Ian McShane plays the most riviting, complex villian ever. McShane as Swearengen make Dr. Doom look like Dr. Smith. McShane's protrayal is so beautifully written and his acting so flawless, complex and compelling, you forget he's a fictional character--his phyco blastfurnace powers this hour-long drama. On one hand you hate him as Al Swearegen, fear him too, like a cocked gun aimed at your head in the dark, but somehow you sort of feel sorry for him and like him despite his evil ways at the same time. His motivations are always clear, CONTROL,profit and power. Timothy Olyphant is like a new Eastwood, taunt, terse and harboring a past he strains to contain, like a pot boiling over each week you see a bit spill out. Trixie, played by Paula Malcomson almost makes an honest man feel it might be worth the small pox for a fling! I think she is the strongest person on the show, stronger than Al, because she risks the most. And this is the only thing beside U-turn I ever liked Powers Booth in.

4 comments:

yelahttam said...

Ian McShane really is a fabulous actor, but his best trun was as a villain on the old British sci-fi yawner, "Space: 1999". - mh
http://www.gispyonline.com
http://www.matthaley.com

Mike Manley said...

Matt, Wow, I haven't seen that show since I was a kid. I bet they are funny to watch now....

Mike Wieringo said...

I have been WAITING for this for months....! I absolutely LOVE this show. It's my favorite on TV. I'm a sucker for westerns anyway, but this is the best western drama I've ever seen.

Brilliant stuff.

Mike Manley said...

Wow, this season started off with a bang! I can't wait till next week....