Sunday, December 28, 2008

Memory Painting

This is a small memory painting I did today of the night I arrived in Beijing, China. It's small, 3 x 4 in oil on paper. I think I want to eventually do a larger painting. it was quite a strange, or of magical moment as we waited for a taxi to take us to the hotel after the bus ride from the airport. It was a hazy, drizzle, and very dark with many, many people riding bikes past us slowly in the rain. This memory is one of the strongest I have of the trip for it's dream-like quality. I feel like I was painting a dream.

4 comments:

Billy Guffey said...

Hi Mike. I like this one. It may be small, but it has emotion. I think the scene works realistically because the suggested shapes, lights and reflections are all kept in context. Would make a good larger painting.

Mike Manley said...

Thanks Bill. It is all about the shape and the values. The hard part will be to retain them in the same way in a larger painting.

mark morris said...

Mike,

This too is very nice! Makes me think of Whistler.

Marc Manley said...

This is really fantastic. You can get the sense of the moment/emotion being quite strong. I would be great to see this flushed out to a bigger-sized painting,