Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Big Commute

Here is my initial rough in of a bigger painting I'm working on in my commuting series. As I make each big step I'll post it up and talk about what I'm doing. One of the tings I need to do is get a bigger easel, which I hope to get in the next week or so. I roughed in with a medium charcoal pencil and the canvas is a Dick Blick canvas 24 x 30.

The next step will to be define the drawing more and work out details, better then fix it and start painting.

I'll have some smaller paintings underway as well.

3 comments:

Brian Churilla said...

I really admire folks who can plot their perspective so confidently. It's really cool to see. Thanks for showing the process.

Mike Manley said...

Brian, well perspective is old-hat now for me. Funny, it seems for some, a huge hurdle to jump, and maybe I am the rare guy, but it was the easiest of the 'rules' to learn. I think the fact my grandpa gave me a Loomis book as a kid helped put me on the path at about 11.

To create an illusionistic space you need to get it down, now it's just the way I do stuff and I realize what I like to try and do is create a real sense of space in the comics and the paintings I do, linear and atmospheric.

The battle on this piece is to not let the perspective ruin the mood and feeling.

j said...

The drawing is tight I cannot wait to see how it turn out Mike.