Sunday, November 04, 2012

PAFA MFA1: Week 10--A Washout


 Well as everybody knows Hurricane sandy came in this week and wrecked shop, literally! But with the storm building and on the way last Saturday I hit NYC for the day to see the Art Students league, The Met and some galleries in Chelsea, many of which are now sadly wiped out by the storm.

Classes were canceled on Monday and Tuesday and so the week was spent dealing with deadlines and shifting complications. I did manage to catch up a bit on my writing assignments and keep on my deadline with Judge Parker as I feared my power would go out any second! Luckily it just flickered but didn't go out but there was just a lot of mess.

The NYC trip via the Megabus was great, especially visiting the league which I had never visited before. The newly refurbished American Wing at the Met was stunning, the work was so well displayed.




  I also was happy to view the two-man show at Jonathan Levine of Ashley Wood and Jeremy Geddes. Geddes work was amazing in person, and something you can't appreciate from any scan or even a print.



Ashley Wood had both paintings and some sculptures that were also hand painted. Both shows were nearly sold out in the first week.


 Chelsea right before the storm rolled in, a lot of people were out and about.

 

Gallery Henoch



The walls in Chelsea were always interesting.


Here I am in front of my wall on First Friday
Will and I mug for the camera.


Friday was also the opening of the groups show at  Rodger laPelle. I have nine pieces in the show and it was great to see a lot of my fellow classmates, friends and MFA 1 buddies come out to the show. It was also great to be in the show with two of my best friends and fellow Dirty Palette Club members Lexi and Will. The show runs through the end of December so anyone interested should be able to get to see it. This week we sign up for our classes and critics for next semester--this one seemed to zip so fast I can imagine the next will go faster.  I'll blink and it will be summer--which after last week will be OK with me. This week all the classes will be back and I'll be back in the studio starting some new, larger paintings and drawings.

Jenn Warpole, William Sentman, Robert Stack, Mike Manley and Al Gury

1 comment:

Nancy Bea Miller said...

Congratulations on your show Mike! P.S. I love the Art Student's League especially because that is where my parents met! ♡♡