Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sketching Out


Over the last few days Echo and I have had many little trips about, catching up on many things like Doctor's appointments and such, so I packed our sketchbooks along because there are always opportunities to draw or sketch, even if for 5 minutes. Sometimes we'd stop between erands and grab a cup of coffe at Starbucks or like last Saturday after painting, the gang went to eat mexican and then hung at Borders to shop and sketch while having coffee. I have a little sketchbook that is really coming in handy and getting a lot of use. I am sometimes kinda' frustrated by what I get down, people move around a lot and getting their features down is tricky...I got the eye shape..oops...they moved or turned...I have to wait till they turn back..it requires you to stare which makes some uncomfortable, but FUCK IT! I am drawing you lady!

Sketching on the spot is fun but can be a challenge and requires focus, but like anything else, the more you do the better you get...but sometimes it's like starting the engine cold and the first few sketches show it. These were all done in a soft General's pencil or red Col-Erase pencil and are at original size.





7 comments:

Christian D. Leaf said...

Nice stuff. Really like the one from July 14th. Her personality shines through your sketch.

John Beatty said...

Well done...I had a blast doing my "Sketch Society" this past Saturday...good way to get out, meet some friends, make some new ones and get the rust off!

-John

Echo Shi Volla said...

That last one is me at age 30, haha!!

Urban Barbarian said...

Nice Crumb feel to these! Very cool!

Mike Manley said...

Ha, Dan, yeah she does have a Crumb-esque feel. She was sort that body type.

Mike Manley said...

John, I am so glad to hear you say that about your sketch club! Congrats!

Mike Manley said...

Ink, thanks, sometimes it's easier in some sketches and other times it just escapes you in the quick-sketch, the person moves too much or leaves before you "get them".