Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Portrait Class Week 2

This was the second week of the portrait Class with Al Gury I am taking at PAFA this summer. This is one of the two portraits I started yesterday, we get two sections of models, a morning section and an afternoon section. This start is from the afternoon session where I was more warmed up, I'm really trying to work a bit bolder and looser. I love having one long all day class, I think it works the best and i wish all the classes at school were taught this way.

1 comment:

Uncle Ernie said...

I think you are headed in the right direction with this looser approach. A more "finished" look can often hide the artist's expression or attitude about the subject.

With representational art, it is, in a way, more difficult to express a personal vision than it is with nonrepresentational work.

When someone looks at a picture of an apple, the first thing they see is an apple. Whatever the viewer's attitude toward apples is, will influence their reaction to the art. I have always felt that the looser the art is, the more it communicates the artist's initial emotional response to the subject.

Sorry for the long winded "artsy" response: but I like this one. I hope you continue exploring in this direction.